Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Deep Unto Deep

--
Once again, the high country has filled my heart (and my camera's memory cards) to overflowing. I have just returned from another trip to the mountains with my parents who love them as much as I do! This time they took me on a lake cruise that explores the wonders of the 55-mile long, 1,486-foot deep Lake Chelan in North Cascades National Park in the state of Washington.

I may have seen more waterfalls on that day trip than I think I've seen the rest of my life put together! The spring melt was at its height and every place along those steep mountain faces where water could gather and run headlong down to that deep, cold lake, it came in a rush of blinding whitewater. There were so many waterfalls I kept having to run from one side of the boat to the other to capture the next and the next and the next (such a fun problem to have)!

At the north end of the lake, after a short bus ride, we reached the pièce de résistance of the tour, Rainbow Falls, a 312-foot cascade on the jade-green, glacier-fed waters of Rainbow Creek. 





What a gift it was to feel so small in the face of such a towering waterfall! What an amazement to feel and hear and taste and see such utterly unbridled power! It was thunderously loud, and wondrously beautiful!

I had to leave my camera safely below with my mom down at the level where I took these pictures, but I climbed up to a higher vantage point--I just had to take another look. As I ascended the trail, what was a light, misty spray at the bottom, turned to a torrential downpour closer to the top. The violence of the water's crashing to the rocks below was creating so much spray it rose up and rolled over like an ocean wave, drenching all in its path, including me, (sans camera)! It was blinding, and deafening, and breathtaking!! All I could do was stretch out my arms in a feeble attempt to take it all in and then I found myself laughing out loud with the sheer thrill of it . . . but it didn't matter because no one could hear me . . . except Him! I think He laughed along!!

"Deep calls to deep
         in the roar of your waterfalls; . . ."

During the 4 hours back on the boat, this verse kept playing in my head as I thought of the way that wild water fell from the towering heights to the rocky depths. I thought too of the deep, deep, dark green water that filled the nearly 1500 foot basin below me; and I thought of the ocean depths where every drop of that water is ever flowing. I know that all those deep places belong first and foremost to my Creator-God who made them--that is a deep thought all its own. Deep calls to deep . . . His deep calls to my deep, the same deep He created within me just so He could fill me with Himself.

pray that we will hear the call of deep unto deep, the mighty, rushing roar of His waterfalls as our gracious God fills us to overflowing with the living water of His Spirit--what a beautiful sound!


________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"
Counting my next 1000 Gifts, joining Ann in The Joy Dare--like a scavenger hunt for graces, gifts and glory!! Wanna come along?  I dare ya!!

The continuing JOY DARE: 
#1403-1441 (May 14th-26th)

14. a gift picked up, put away, put back
My kids, multiple times today
Laundry
Stuff I don't need to take with me on my trip
15. 3 gifts about you
Ability to be content while waiting in the airport 
That I still get as excited as the first time on takeoff and landing--just like a little kid!
My love for looking out the window to see what there is to see
16. 3 gifts found in His Word
The promise of His coming
The assurance of His love
The evidence of His greatness
17. a gift in a box, in a bag, in a book
The presents I got to deliver in person
Makeup, toothbrush, clean clothes
Grandma Allen's diary from 1932, the year she graduated from high school--priceless!
18. 3 gifts unexpected
Rainbow Falls (all 312 feet of it) and an exhilarating shower!
Friendly encounters
The look on my niece & nephew's faces when I surprised them at a school performance!
19. 3 gifts from your childhood
My brothers, Cody & Chad
The fragrance of lilacs & noisily happy bumblebees!
My basement room!
20. a gift sweet, sour, salty
Time with old friends and an unexpected story to treasure
Pickles
Tears when it's time to leave (I hate goodbyes!!)
21. 3 gifts found in little people
The way she says her r's
The unrestrained love showered on me by my niece & nephew
My 7yo nephew wanting to know if I believe in God--what an easy YES!!
22. 3 gifts that made you laugh
The way Drummer Boy snuck up on me at the airport when I got home despite the fact that I was watching out for him to do exactly that!
Being smothered in "welcome home" hugs by my family
Getting back to the jokes, the good-natured teasing, and general noisy goofiness of my family 
23. 3 gifts found in community
Opportunity for She So Sweet to take care of the neighbor's animals for a few days
Watching The Avengers with She So Sweet and the others in the theater
Reconnecting with our Peet's friend, Diane, and a collection of Peet's employees and other regulars we see there all the time
24. a gift in a plate, pot, package
The heirloom plates that hang on my wall, reminding me of my Great Grandma
Leftovers from the first meal made in my new Crock Pot
Custom-made puzzle in the mail and on its way--I hope they like it!
25. 3 gifts hard giving thanks for
The return to so much busyness
Air that is not as smoggy as it might be, but still smoggier than I would like it
Immune systems that work a little too well when it comes to allergies
26. a gift worn, white, whispered
Hair clip that keeps my hair off my neck when I'm too warm
Paper towels that help me clean up life's little messes
I love yous and prayers of gratitude


   Beauty in His Grip Button

On In Around button
A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh