Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Undeniable Contrast

--

The energy in the room changed dramatically. The entire audience seemed to feel it and sit up a little straighter in their seats with anticipation. Intermission was over and the band my son assembled to perform some of his original songs in a concert at his college was about to play--the debut performance of

Jordan Friday and the Beautiful Romance!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Being on a college campus, the concert up to this point had been an eclectic mix of musical styles, varied cultures and lyrical content. There had been . . .

. . . profanity-laced rap and hip hop . . .
. . . some nice acoustic guitar work punctuated with angst and anger, lyrics about men reverting back to apes and violent rituals and despair . . .
. . . and finally, my first introduction to a live performance by a screamo death metal band--lots of rage, frenzy, desperation, writhing on the floor and sounds I didn't know human voices could make "singing" words I think I'm glad were unintelligible.

Musically speaking, I'm a pretty cool mom and can wrap my head around a lot of musical styles, so from that perspective, none of the music I heard was a problem for me. I sort of live by the motto, "Have earplugs, will travel!!"  What WAS very hard to withstand was the sense of gloom and darkness in the lyrics and demeanor that, layer upon layer, was expressed, reinforced and almost embraced as the evening went on.

Finally, the intermission was over and it was Drummer Boy's turn. He and his band, including She So Sweet on violin, brought such a breath of fresh air into an otherwise dreary evening.  The smiles they were wearing, the fun they were having together, the enthusiasm in the way they played, the beauty and passion of the music and the hope and joy in the lyrics were pure celebration! I can honestly say that I'm not just being a proud mom here (although I clearly am that!), but there was a tangible difference in the way it felt to experience the gift they gave to the audience and the way it felt to experience the other performances.

Let me be clear.  I am not in any way being critical of the other performers who were incredibly committed to their music and their expression of how they see their lives. Their talent and the raw honesty in their creativity are undeniable.

This too is undeniable . . .

. . . the contrast between darkness and light is truly stunning . . .
. . . the contrast between despair and hope is unmistakable . . .
. . . the contrast between death and life is the battle line the world is teetering on!

"Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, 'I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.'"  John 8:12 NASB

In some situations and some settings, some divine appointments, a boldness in sharing the Gospel openly and directly is called for. In other places, at other times, our job is just to let Jesus shine through us, just to be in stark, glaring contrast to what may otherwise be a dark room.

When we really walk in the Light of life, we become the contrast of a powerful spotlight in a dark concert hall! The world is moving further and further into the inky night of it's long rebellion.
We MUST light the night with 
our HOPE and JOY and PASSION and FAITH and LOVE
that are so utterly different than the offerings the world gives!

----------------------Shine bright!!--------------------
----------------------Glow warm!!---------------------
-------------Light the night around you!!-----------

I hope you are as inspired as I am by this music video of one of Drummer Boy's songs he played with his band last night! He says it well, Now Is the Time!


What are your favorite ways to let your light shine in the darkness?
______________________________________


Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

#506-520
506. 3 hours of great conversation, dreaming, planning and encouraging with Hero Husband at Peet's Coffee
507. An amazing sunset and eyes to see it (how I wish I could have captured it with my camera!)
508. Fun morning with Drummer Boy
509. Knowing that he wanted to hang out with me badly enough to wake up early to go with me!
510. Hearing from a teacher that She So Sweet's integrity is glowingly discussed by other teachers!
511. Buttery, creamy white kidney beans
512. Knowing God can be trusted to turn a friend's horrible situation for good 
513. Hero Husband wanting everything God wants for me.
514. Conversation with an old friend and a chance to point him to Jesus . . . again.
515. Holy discontent--not wanting to stay the way I am today
516. When potential catastrophes have easy fixes!
517. Seeing a leader truly lead and speaking humble, powerful words to the whole world . . . God bless Benjamin Netanyahu and the nation of Israel.
518. Good smells coming from the kitchen
519. Going out to Denny's after the concert--brings back great memories while making new ones!
520. Being inspired by my children who shine so bright in a dark world!!

Joining L.L. Barkat for:
On In Around button

Joining Michelle DeRusha for:

and joining Jen for her Sisterhood



A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity