Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

The Story the Ladybug Tells

--
The whimsical whistle of my cell phone ring tone beckoned from my purse.  It was She So Sweet's biology teacher returning my call to answer a couple of questions I had about his class.  He was very helpful in answering my questions and in the course of our conversation, I decided to talk to him a little bit about the upcoming unit on evolution.

With a 20 year (combined) history of my kids being in public schools and many teachers during that time who were . . . um . . . passionate about their beliefs in evolution, I always like to touch base with new teachers, hopefully to assure that they will at the very least be respectful of students who hold a creationist viewpoint.  I was so impressed with this teacher (who clearly does believe in evolution) when he spoke of "the theory of evolution and what it suggests."  I was quick to thank him for stating it that way rather than the fierce dogma I have experienced from other teachers.

We went on to have a very cordial conversation about the importance of keeping an open dialogue and being respectful and intellectually honest in the study of how our planet and all its many lifeforms came to be.

We built bridges instead of walls--the conversation can continue.  I. Love. That!


Spring is springing around here, and the mustard is taking over the world as we know it.  My deep red SUV is positively yellow with mustard pollen!


Did you know that ladybugs eat mustard pollen?
Did you know that they are some of the first bugs to show up each spring?
Don't you think it's clever of God to have the ladybug's favorite plant bloom just at the time they appear with eggs to lay?


Like a tiny Volkswagen wearing a coat of yellow confetti, this ladybug is so surrounded by her much-needed food source, she is covered in it! The bountiful provision of an eminently good God is displayed so beautifully in His care for even some of His smallest creations.

When it comes to the natural world and the story it tells, the words are written plainly without ever opening the Book.  But if you do open the Book it will tell you this,
"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."  Romans 1:20 NIV
What God has revealed of Himself in His glorious creation leaves people without excuse to say He isn't there. I pray that we, as Christians, will never do anything in our dialogue with the world that gives them an excuse to tune Him out.  There are so many voices screeching their opinions and beliefs, but few are listening . . . listening to the bell clear sound of His voice in creation.

I hope that just as this evolution-believing teacher pleasantly surprised me with his honesty, our creation-believing family can be a pleasant surprise to him. Maybe we can amplify the sound of the Voice who calls out His goodness in everything He has made.

Where do you see God's invisible qualities on display in His creation?
Have you or your children had opportunities to bring a creationist viewpoint to teachers of evolution?  Tell me about it!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity