Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

My Alongside-One

Parakletos. Greek word meaning one called alongside another. It is translated comforter, counselor, advocate, helper, intercessor, strengthener, and standby. This is the word Jesus used to describe the Holy Spirit whom He promised would be sent to be with His disciples and followers.
"But the one who is coming to stand by you, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name, will be your teacher and will bring to your minds all that I have said to you." John 14:26 (Phi)
The "alongside One." It is a much-taught, well-worn truth, but it seems the best known, most fundamental truths can be the easiest to brush past. Well, not today. Today He went on my walk with me . . . and I noticed. When I finish a blog post, I immediately begin looking toward the next one, asking God what He wants me to know--what He wants me to share with you. Usually I have a batch of ideas and thoughts scrambling over one another like unruly teenagers volunteering to get on stage, hands raised, saying "Pick me! Pick me!" This week, after praying for His guidance, I searched my mind for some impression, some picture that was important--all I found was an empty, echo-ey space with cricket-chirping thoughts mocking my search. I decided to get some fresh air and exercise and set out for a walk in the morning cool. My Ipod wasn't charged, so it was birdsong and breeze-cadence that serenaded my seeking. I kept asking Him for help. Please let me know what is on Your heart this morning. I'm empty. I've got nothin'. I didn't decide to, but somewhere down the trail I started to hum, "In Christ Alone, my hope is found." It felt like a very personal treasure had been secretly slipped into my pocket, put there just for me to find. This was not a new or infrequent thought, but indeed, a most-beloved thought. It was just so clearly a gift from Him. My Parakletos. My alongside-One. The One of the Godhead who is by nature so quiet, so gentle, so inconspicuous. He never draws attention to Himself, but always points people to Jesus--that's His job, it's what He does. He is the Holy Humble One who doesn't insist, He calmly guides. He politely waits while I choose whether to yield or fight. He doesn't run circles around me, shouting and waving His arms when I blow it--He just stays close, whispering Love and holding out His hand, poised always to lead me in the right direction. And when I submit to the steps He chooses, the unity and sense of quiet togetherness is a thing of beauty. "For this is what the high and lofty One says— He who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.'" Isaiah 57:15 (NIV) Where do you need to feel the breath of Heaven today? How has the Holy Spirit slipped Jesus-Love into your pocket to discover Him anew?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity