Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Up the Sunbeam


"And these are but the outer fringe of His works; how faint the whisper we hear of Him! Who then can understand the thunder of His power?" Job 26:14 (NIV)

I squeal over wild skies and catch my breath at mountain splendor and fairly explode with the exhilaration of the wind roaring like a freight train through the pines. I can't pass by an Iris in bloom without stopping to marvel at the imagination of the God who not only thought up its form and colors out of nothing, but made it exquisitely beautiful for everyone . . . or no one . . . to see—He made it just because He can and because it displays something of the beauty that He IS.


C. S. Lewis once wrote to his friend of the blessing of seeing, feeling or experiencing something pleasurable, "It is a message. We know we are being touched by a finger of that right hand at which there are pleasures for evermore. There need be no question of thanks or praise as a separate event, something done afterwards. To experience the tiny theophany is itself to adore. Gratitude exclaims, very properly, 'How good of God to give me this.' Adoration says, 'What must be the quality of that Being whose far-off and momentary coruscations are like this!' One's mind runs back up the sunbeam to the sun." (Letters to Malcolm, Letter XVII) I simply cannot read that quote without tears.


That is why I take pictures. When I capture a moment with my camera, it is my attempt to "run back up the sunbeam to the sun." When I create a card from one of those captured moments, I hope that I can lead others "up the sunbeam" too. This blog is meant to be a place where I can share these moments as I see them and the truth they speak to me.
I sincerely hope you are blessed by my pictures and my musings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity