Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Why Not?

--

I can feel my own spine lengthen and stretch in empathic connection with the waves as they rise, and rise, tension building almost to breaking, until they finally arch their backs in defiant determination just before they commit to the forward, crashing, headlong fall into the waiting shoreline. Whatever sand and rocks await them, the water will both surrender and subdue. What is left of the mighty wave when the rocks are done with it? What is sand, but stone pounded fine by crashing waves?

On the same day these giant waves were joyously galloping to shore, risking surrender to subdue, Drummer Boy set out for some beach combing. No matter that his age names him adult, when there is fun to be had on a wide open beach, he is a child at play, imagining all manner of adventures. I think this particular day he was caught somewhere between shipwrecked Robinson Crusoe and an episode of Man vs. Wild where he and Bear Grylls would be in full survival mode, needing to find shelter to stay alive.


The possibilities were endless!
He decided to build something.
He looked.
He planned.
He gathered.

He stuck a stick in the sand . . .


. . . and then another.


He propped and placed and rearranged.
He persevered.



He wove his ideas together and made them real.


He sat down inside his imagination.
He enjoyed the shelter his hard work afforded.
He smiled the smile of satisfaction.
He took his rest after the accomplishment.

Some people look at the world around them and think, "I couldn't possibly."

Some people look at the same world and think, "Why not?"

"For nothing is impossible with God."
Luke 1:37 NLT

There is such excitement in the air! I am feeling that same rising tension of the waves as I am about to arch my back and commit to landing on the shore to both surrender and subdue! Remember that dream I hinted at in my One Word post? This dream, the one I let go of, but wouldn't let go of me, well, it's almost time!

Just at this same moment, my Heavenly Father is surrounding me with people and stories and illustrations that inspire me as I follow Him into the "impossible."



I am so inspired by Angela Zhang, the girl in this video, who looked at a problem that seems pretty impossible and blithely said, "Why not?" I am inspired by two young friends, a brother and sister, who look at the world and see no barriers! I am inspired by Drummer Boy who builds shelters out of sticks and a recording studio out of his dreams! I am inspired by She So Sweet who sets goals and then sets her jaw to make sure she reaches them! I am inspired by my Hero Husband who has vision as big as all outdoors, and the passion to make the vision a reality, all while inspiring everyone he meets!!

I am inspired by Jesus, the One who calls me friend. He saw a world stuck in a life of impossible and He threw Himself and everything He had into coming to our rescue. He surrendered to the limitations of a human body and the pain of the cross so He could subdue sin and death. And then, with salvation won for all who would believe in Him, He sat down at the right hand of His Father, mission accomplished. Oh!

May I just whisper this? I want to inspire. I don't whisper out of self-doubting fear, but in awe, in reverent, holy awe.


It is a great work to inspire others.

I recently heard singer/songwriter,
Justin McRoberts, say that "every great work takes the shape of the cross." The shape of the cross is the way of sacrifice, of laying down self, of surrender, of grinding toil and dogged determination and wrung out sweat and tears . . . the shape of the cross is the way of LOVE.  Know what else? The shape of the cross is the shape of victory! It is the way of the wave, throwing itself on the rocks, flowing into all the cracks and crevasses and jagged places, wearing rough edges smooth in the crashing.


Even knowing all that it will cost, I still want to inspire.
I want to surrender myself to the challenge and subdue the obstacles through perseverance.
I want the joy of getting to sit down inside my imagination.

Knowing God laughs at the word impossible,
I choose to say, "Why not?"


Is there something on your heart you've been calling impossible?
Who inspires you?
________________________________

--
 

A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity