Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

A Few Words from the Hinterlands

--
I can hear the telltale clanking.

The monkey wrench has been thrown into the machinery again.

The gears are grinding to a halt, and the flow of words has stopped. I keep anxiously watching like a weary traveler waiting at an empty baggage claim for bags that do not come. I wish I could see down the chute and open everything up to fix the problem.

I wish it was as easy to focus my thoughts as it is to focus my camera.



I flit and flutter, scanning my mind for an idea, just one good idea, to perch upon. 




Where, oh where are the words hiding? Why won't they show themselves? What have I done to chase them away, and what can I do to bring them back? Are they alive and green somewhere under the frosty cold?

What if I've already written everything I know? What if there are no more good ideas? What if nothing I say is original or creative or special? What if the keys have gone silent for the last time?

Wistful wishes, wretched what if's, mixed up images, where's, why's and what can I do's--is that all I've got?  Is that the best I can do?

One more time I am reminded of my limitations, of the formless, nameless, blank landscape at the outer reaches of me. I hate this place, but when I visit these hinterlands, I discover afresh how lost I would be without the One who is strong in my weakness. And so, I write anyway, haltingly, with grinding gears and clanking metal, offering up what words I can pin down, praying that in the obedience will come the naming.


"Light is sown for the righteous,
And for the upright of heart -- joy."


The hope of the writer springs eternal . . . at least I think it does. The light is there for me to reap, the joy is there for me to find and the words will come again. God loves words. Surely He must love my loving words, my play and work in words, and even more, my passion for His words. This is not my best post, but neither will it be my last. I have not had my last drop of inspiration, no matter what my what if's wonder.

What do you learn from bouts with writer's block?
How do you break free when you're in the clutches of it?
________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"
Counting my next 1000 Gifts, joining Ann in The Joy Dare--like a scavenger hunt for graces, gifts and glory!! Wanna come along? I dare ya!!

JANUARY’S JOY DARE: 
#1043-1063

15. one thing you wore--the beautiful cross Hero Husband gave me so many years ago--the one I never take off
       one thing you gave away--my time 
       one thing you shared--playoff football with Hero Husband--I never get tired of sharing this love with him
16. 3 ways you witnessed happiness today
       First sip of morning coffee
       Drummer Boy happy to have figured out his computer trouble
       Hero Husband calling to tell me how he had resolved an urgent problem
17. one gift that you made laugh--She So Sweet's pretend scowly-face complete with dimples
        one gift that made you pray--the morning news--so much in the world that needs God's touch
        one gift that made you quiet--the expectant hush of solitude
18. 3 gifts from God’s Word
        " . . . His love endures forever." 1 Chronicles 16:34
        " . . . But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." 1 John 3:2
       "For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; " Psalm 91:11
19. a grace in the kitchen--coordinated efforts
      a grace in the weather--rain! Finally!! We need it desperately!!
      a grace that might never have been--lunch with a good friend
20. 3 gifts you saw only when you got close-up
       creamy white nourishment of grains of rice
       90% off on some great earbuds
       care tag on a sweater that said "Tumble Dry Low" when I didn't have time for line drying
21. one thing in the sky--rain clouds bringing relief to the dry, dry earth
       one thing from your memory--the dog I saw yesterday, head out the window of a truck, nose pointed skyward in the rain
       one thing that’s ugly-beautiful--a messy kitchen that shows we have more than enough to eat

   Beauty in His Grip Button


On In Around button

A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh