Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

God in High Places

--

Standing atop the very spine of North America, the Continental Divide, I drink in the majesty of what for me, is an always-place.  This view, these rocks, this air runs through my life like a favorite melody that recurs again and again in a movie soundtrack.  It's a place I always seem to go back to, a place I never get tired of, a place I miss deeply when I'm far away.

High places are always like that for me. I have never met a mountain I didn't love--the higher and more jagged and snow-covered, the better.  Shimmering with an unearthly glory, mountains are rife with evidence of an all-powerful and monumentally grand Creator-God. I am only one of the more than 3 million people who visit these mountains in a year.  Whether they know it or not . . . whether they recognize Him or not . . . each and every one, in some way, feels God on those heights.


Ancient people felt God's presence on high places too. Sadly, though they felt Him on peaks and high mountain slopes in the land of the Bible, too many of them chose to put up asherah poles and places of worship to other "gods" instead.

What arrogance! What pride! Like beautiful Lucifer who wanted to elevate himself from an already high place of honor to the highest place, to the place of the Almighty, these people placed themselves too high.  These created ones created things with their own hands and set about to worship their own creations rather than the One who created them!! Have you ever witnessed greater folly? Have you ever seen a more devastating fall?

To stand on ground made holy by His beauty and power and pay tribute to anyone or anything other than the God who hallowed it was worse than spitting in God's face. It was a willful, purposeful act of rebellion and hatred toward God.

Paul taught that God has revealed so much of Himself and who He is through His creation, that "people are without excuse."  He went on in his letter to the church at Rome to say this:

" . . . they traded the true God for a fake god, and worshiped the god they made instead of the God who made them—the God we bless, the God who blesses us. Oh, yes!" Romans 1:25 MSG


It is impossible for me not to notice God in the high country--it is all holy ground to me . . . but are there other kinds of holy ground that I miss? Do I miss the holy ground in ordinary places on ordinary days?  Holy ground and holy moments are always bush-burning miracles that quietly ask us to investigate, to come closer, shoes off and hushed in reverence. Do I get distracted by the cares of life and fail to notice where I'm standing and the bushes that are burning?

May I never use holy ground to elevate anything or anyone but Yahweh! May I never build monuments to created things on high places meant for worshiping the One who created everything! May I always have eyes and heart open to notice and investigate the extraordinary presence of the God who breathes my name and sustains the life He created in me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She So Sweet, my precious daughter who is about to turn 15, knew I was struggling with this post today--lots of interruptions had me fighting for coherent thoughts. She read what at the time was just fragments of what I had started and she wrote her own reflection in response--she is pure blessing to this Momma's heart--her writing brings me to holy ground . . . Enjoy!

How could they look at such an awe-inspiring sight, and not know that it was our Creator who composed the beauty that stood before them?


How could they stand watching a perfect flame set on the beautiful mountains, and not give all thanks to our impeccable God?


How can I stand and only focus on the horrific tragedies of this world, and forget to say, "Wow, Father. You are amazing," every day?


When I stand in altitudinous places such as those, I remember that I am His daughter. He created me. Me! He remembered me! He loves me! He does this for me!    ~~Ashtyn Friday~~




Where and how do you experience high places?
___________________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

#401-415

401. Late night train whistle in the distance . . .
402. Mommy and Daddy sharing God's love with the world on YouTube!  How cool is THAT?! (Daddy's message is in two parts, moving from left to right)  


-- --


403. God's wisdom shared by His daughters (great morning at BSF)
404. Self-control--clearly the Fruit of the Spirit!
405. Lunch with fun friends
406. The balm of sleep when a migraine comes
407. Shout of joy in the morning when the migraine is gone!!
408. A phone conversation that felt constructive
409. Hero Husband taking me out to lunch--I really like being with him!!
410. Blank notebook paper
411. That our last name is Friday and not Monday! =)
412. Knowing what I believe and why I believe it
413. A brother-sister collaboration where they both have "a vision!"
414. The bittersweet sorrow-joy that came with the news that Hero Husband's Grandma woke up in heaven on this Sunday morning. Welcome home Grandma!
415. The 96 faithful years lived by sweet Fannie Gaines!

Joining L.L. Barkat for:
On In Around button

Joining Michelle DeRusha for:

A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity