Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Memories That Transcend

--
As a little girl, there were few things I loved as much as trips to the mountains
. My folks would pack up our Volkswagen and we would leave the verdant corn fields of the fertile Iowa plains in pursuit of the wilder beauty of the Rocky Mountains. Some of our biggest dreams, God-sized dreams, were born there.

We would camp among the towering trees of National Forests and make hot chocolate and S'mores at our evening campfire. At dawn, my Iowa farm-girl mom was already up, cooking scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast--there is nothing like the smell of sizzling bacon blended with the heady fragrance of pine trees and morning-crisp mountain air! Oh! Take me back!!


Our days would find us in our intrepid Volkswagen, Daddy driving, treating the little red bug like a jeep or a mountain goat depending on the quality of the road that had caught our fancy. The place
s we went!! The things we saw!! The rarefied air we breathed!! "No clan on earth possesses the memories that transcend those of the men and women [and little girls] who love the high places . . . " Belmore Browne 1941

I remember once when I was probably 4 or 5, looking out the window at the view, saying to my parents, "God sure has a good imagination!" From that first realization at that young age, I have never gotten over it--WILL never get over it!!

Both the depths of Colorado's 1,178-ft deep Royal Gorge,


and the breath-taking 14,259-ft heights of Long's Peak, are HIS.

They BELONG to Him!

They exis
t because He wants them to be here.

"The depths of the earth are in His hand,
and the mountain peaks are His." Psalm 95:4 HCSB

Knowing He made, and holds in His mighty hand, both the depths and the heights, fills me with indescribable awe. If His creation is made on such a grand and heart-pounding scale, what must He be like??? Oh to know the One who is capable of such things!! Oh to realize that Someone so great, so mighty, is so personally concerned about me!! It makes me catch my breath just like standing on the edge of the Royal Gorge or seeing Long's Peak and the other "fourteeners," the mountain giants that dot the Rockies, towering above everything else.

My nephew recently had his own moment of revelation when he looked out at the first white blanket of winter and said excitedly, "I'm so proud of God--He made snow!!" YES!!
God imagined all this . . . made what He imagined . . . and sustains all He made and imagined.

He is both powerful and tender, infinite and personal. Somehow, He is simultaneously completely transcendent, thoroughly immanent and utterly immediate! There is no one like Him!! I pray that in the ordinariness of daily days, we would ponder the heights of His greatness and the depths of His love for us . . . and be changed by them both. 


Where do you connect with God?
What do your special places tell you of Him?

Comments

  1. I wish you could have been there to hear him. We were close to Yellow Lake on the way to mom and dad's house. Greyson had such awe and wonder in his voice. I'm tearing up thinking about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tear up every time I think about it too--wish I could have been there!! He so reminds me of another "little" boy I know!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. Such beautiful pictures. Amazing memories. I love our God's big Imagination. How He loves to "show off"!
    Standing in awe with you. Thanks for sharing Shaunie!
    Blessings on your New Year.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does love to show what He can do, doesn't He Jessica!! It would be awful if He did all that and we didn't notice--how He must love it when we get it and enjoy it as He intended! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback and look forward to your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity