Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

When Brokenness Gets Broken: Part 1

--

Brokenness.

Brokenness is quite a favorite word in some circles of Christendom these days.  Google it and you'll find pages of results to scroll through. It seems to have many uses and multiple definitions according to the people who are passionate about it. People submit to it, aspire to it, seek it, and try to hasten it.

I'm not sure all of them are on the right track.

There are a number of passages in the Bible that people point to as their basis for their commitment to brokenness, but I'm concerned that there may be some misunderstanding and misapplication afoot.

Our understanding of the person of God through our study of His word is about as important as it gets for our Christian walk, not only for ourselves, but for the people who don't know Him yet--what does our understanding of God say to the people who know us?  It is vital that we present God as accurately as we know how to a world of people who are predisposed by our postmodern culture to be suspicious and even downright hostile toward God.  If they are hostile toward God, let it be because they choose to quarrel with who He really is, not with some misrepresentation we have put forth out of ignorance of one kind or another.

If you look up the word broken, (depending on the dictionary) you will find more than a dozen definitions, and they are, almost without exception, negative in connotation.

Let me ask a simple question--did Jesus come to break us or to restore us?  To hear some people talk about it, you might get the impression that God is in the harsh business of breaking His children down until in His eyes they are battered, bruised, and after enough bashing, have arrived at the coveted state of brokenness befitting the godly.  At this point, when they are sufficiently aware of what worms they are, they can finally be of some miniscule use to Him, provided they stay perpetually and acutely aware of what wretches they are.

Is that the God we serve?

Is that what it means to be a "new creation?"

Is that  the "abundant life" Jesus came to give?

Does this sound like the God who promises we will be overcomers and that He will give us victory?

Hmm . . . let's chew on this a little more.

Where does brokenness really come into play?
Where has brokenness become a distortion of truth, perhaps even an idol?
What does the Bible really say about whom or what needs to be broken?

As I studied and explored this concept, I discovered that one post would not be enough, so I hope you will share your comments and questions with me and join me for the next few posts as I continue to seek God's heart on the matter of brokenness.


____________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

#431-445

431. Coming up with just the thing for her birthday
432. Drummer Boy following through and achieving an important goal
433. Surprising She So Sweet with a birthday breakfast in bed
434. The fun of helping her friend plan a surprise of his own . . . and her joyfully surprised face!
435. Chili cheese dogs for a mother-daughter birthday dinner
436. Candy bars that stood in for the birthday cake we'll make this weekend for her to enjoy with her friends
437. That Drummer Boy is such an awesome big brother
438. What a difference a year makes!  I could write 1000 gifts just about that!
439. Humble and healing words from one who really heard
440. She So Sweet singing so beautifully at her school's "Coffee House" evening!
441. Baked potatoes
442. "I love the smell of dirt," and "I feel like a farmer!" she said as we planted her herb garden together--Grandpa Hitchings would have loved that!!
443. Carmelized Bacon and the on-the-fly recipe that inspired it
444. Hero Husband's fried chicken with the seasoning all the way to the bone!!
445. Dark chocolate Brownie "cake" with peppermint patties in the middle--way better than traditional birthday cake!!


Joining Michelle DeRusha for:

A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Simple Simplicity