Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

On My Knees for the Red, White, and Blue

--
"Here then is my charge: First, supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings should be made on behalf of all men: for kings and rulers in positions of responsibility, so that our common life may be lived in peace and quiet, with a proper sense of God and of our responsibility to him for what we do with our lives." 1 Timothy 2:1-2 PHILLIPS


Gracious Heavenly Father,

How we thank You that You hear us when we pray, and that You care about the lives we live.


My heart cries out to You for this nation I love so dearly. My ancestors have lived and loved and fought and died here for 400 years and I don't want our generation to be the one that lets it all unravel. We are at a momentous time in our history, and I pray, for the sake of all who have bled and died for the freedom of this land and for these people, that we who live here now would make choices and live lives that please You.

Help us to do all we should do and be all we should be.
Help us to innovate and inspire.
Help us to motivate and move.
Help us to bring out the best in each other.
Help us to join hands and work side by side.
Help us to defend the weary and weak.
Help us to hold out hope to the hopeless.
Help us to live up to all our outrageous potential.
Help us to encourage the downcast.
Help us to appreciate those who work hard.
Help us to cheer on those who think they can't.
Help us to see through skin color to the heart underneath.
Help us to protect the innocent.
Help us to stand for what is right.
Help us to live like we know this is something worth dying for.

Help us to value freedom more than safety . . . courage more than pride . . . and life more than money.

Please protect our troops who nobly protect us and defend our freedom and
bless their families here at home.

Help us to look to You for the wisdom to be the nation our forefathers established us to be.

As for our leaders, Father, we pray that You would guide, guard, direct and keep them in Your care.

Help us to choose wisely.

Thank You for America, Father.

AMEN.



Wishing all of you a Happy Canada Day and Happy 4th of July this week!!
God bless North America!!!

How are you praying for your nation (wherever you are) and its leaders?
________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"
Counting my next 1000 Gifts, joining Ann in The Joy Dare--like a scavenger hunt for graces, gifts and glory!! Wanna come along?  I dare ya!!

The continuing JOY DARE: 
#1527-1547 (June 24th through June 30th))


24. 3 Gifts Today in Someone Older Than You
Parents who still think I'm amazing when all I can see is how I've fallen short
The grey-haired lady who happily came to the contemporary service at church, and sat up front on the side where Drummer Boy played drums
Hero Husband, home, happy and tired from an afternoon of golf--so happy he got to go do something he enjoys so much!
25. 3 Gifts in Fabric
Clean towels, warm out of the dryer and freshly folded
White terry-cloth rags I love best for cleaning
Great, Great Auntie Ferrol's hand-crocheted doilies
26. 3 Gifts Framed by a Frame
Family pictures
The Tombstone poster Tony bought for me when the movie was new
My piece of the old Pen High gym floor in a frame made by my little brother who played basketball on it when it was in place (so did my older little brother!)
27. 3 Gifts Eaten
Eggs for breakfast
Yummy, nutritious trail mix
Grilled cheese sandwich with turkey
28. A Gift Small, Big, Just Right
A wee nap when I really needed one
My dream car, PAID IN FULL after 72 months (24 of which we had no income)--Jehovah Jireh, my Provider!!
Quiet evening at Peet's and getting school work done
29. 3 Gifts You Gave Today
Compassion to the roofer who has had a lot of recent hardships
Keeping the neighbor's dog out of harm's way
Reassurance to a teammate
30. 3 Gifts Moving
The blades of the fan
Stuff I'm cleaning out moving from the garage to the garbage!
Me, moving through my BA program--10% complete!!


   Beauty in His Grip Button

On In Around button
A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh