Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Treasure That Cannot Rust

The old fence no longer holds anything in or out. Posts still stand where hard-working hands placed them . . . when? I don't know. Most of the wire is gone and with it the memory of who put it there or what treasure it kept safe. What is left is weathered, worn and rusted so heavily the wire looks sculpted rather than twisted together. Long years of exposure to water, air and sun have eaten away at what once was new 'til it is rendered useless, though still dangerous. Rusted iron, corroded metal, brittle wire showing the breakdown of its once shining strength--it speaks. In Eden, everything broke, and the first corrosion began. Things began to fall apart, to waste away. Time became a thief, fear entered stage-left and death stalked us all. Maybe that was when we started trying to hold on to things . . . earth things. Maybe that was when we became grabbers instead of givers. Maybe that was when we first fell for fool's gold. "They say that where your treasure is There will your heart be also Your heart stays where You hide your greatest love" Words from the song "Treasure" by Gary Chapman Jesus knew our faithless tendency to love the stuff of earth rather than to treasure relationship with God more than anything. "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." Matthew 6:19 NIV His warning was a loving one. He knows we lose and lose and lose when we wildly cling to material things that are subject to calamity and destruction. He wisely directed us to hold fast to things we can't lose and not to set our hearts on things we can't keep. The old fence echoes His warning, reminding me not to count on the frailty of earth things. It's silent, windswept witness cries a loud alarm--don't worry about what you have or don't have here and now--store up real treasure that cannot rust, that no one can take from you . . . treasure that is indestructible. When I heed its message, I can joyfully, truthfully sing the words of the old hymn: "I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold I'd rather be His than have riches untold I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land I'd rather be lead by His nail-scarred hand Than to be a king of a vast domain Or be held in sin's dread sway I'd rather have Jesus than anything This world affords today."
Gracious Father, keep me true to these words! Help me to treasure You above all else! YOU ARE MY TREASURE!!
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20 NIV
How are you learning to treasure things less and Jesus more?

Comments

  1. Shaunie, This is one of your "many best." I love the photo images and the writing says so well the reason for our "grabbing, not giving" dilemma. You have ever deepening insights coming from the depths of your ability to connect all things to the principles of The Word, and the life circumstances you know, and through your wonderfully observant photographers soul. Keep the blogs coming--as A. Lincoln once said, "Work hard and prepare yourself, and one day your opportunity WILL COME." I know this is true for you and pray you will continue to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing! Hey there! Your blog is beautiful and so is your heart for God.

    Come join us this weekend over at my blog for Weekend Wisdom and Worship- Week 1! Check it out, I know you'll like it. Let us encourage the body of Christ together.

    Nice to meet you new friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback and look forward to your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity