Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

The Old Songs Were New Once

--


Drummer boy left early for church this morning. He had to be there by 8:30 to practice with the worship band in preparation for the service the rest of us would attend later. He walked to the car and I stood in my pajamas at the open door, watching him go. He noticed me lingering there, hesitated and said, "What are you doing?"

"Just feeling the fresh air," I said, drinking in the beauty of just-sprinkled flowers sparkling in the early rays of golden light. He smiled a knowing smile (he knows his momma does odd things like that), told me he loved me and proceeded to get in the car. I kept standing there even after I'd watched him drive around the bend toward the pale remnants of a tangerine sunrise. I made a point to notice how cool the gentle breeze felt on my face, how crisp and clear the air smelled, and how deep the purple of agapanthus flowers appeared against countless shades of green. It was a new morning, one I'd never seen before, the only one just like it, and I didn't want to fail to notice its unique delights.

When we arrived at church, She So Sweet and I walked in together while Hero Husband parked the car. Drummer Boy sat in his usual spot behind the drum set, but that was the only thing that was "usual" about it! We had never seen him with the drums set up like this before! Key pieces of his usual configuration were missing, and he had replaced his usual seat with a cajon, a box drum you don't typically see in a standard drum set. She So Sweet and I exchanged quizzical glances, laughed in unison, and she said with genuine enthusiasm, "I love my brother!!" This is the boy who did an impromptu drum solo on the wooden steps of my parents' hot tub and made it sound concert-worthy--we had no doubt he could make this work!

Along with the rest of the band who played guitars both acoustic and electric, mandolin, and keyboard, Drummer Boy gave a distinctive flair to the voices of the instruments he played, and the overall result was fresh and cool like the morning air that had greeted me earlier. We sang some familiar songs, an old song with a new chorus, and a new song for the first time. It occurred to me that the old songs were new once, and the truth that once inspired their songwriters can still fall fresh on hearts who remember to notice.


"He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God."


Sandwiched between the first and second sets of worship songs, one of our pastors brought us a message about our identity in Christ--an identity that is at once brand new and older than time. She encouraged us to try new ways of spending time in God's presence, to ask God to move us outside of the boxes we have formed around Him, and to let Him use the gift of our imaginations to help us see more than black letters on white pages when we read His Word.

As I listened, following along in the "old, old story" while taking notes on my newfangled iPhone, I felt that same fresh, cool Spirit-wind caress my heart with an urgent whisper, eagerly calling me to newness with Him and in Him, the Ancient of Days. He had been wooing me all morning, in the softness of early daylight, in a new song with a new sound, and in a fresh message of old Truth tasted anew.

Every morning with Jesus is new and unique and not to be missed, and He never changes! The contrast of old truth and fresh awareness, timelessness and immediacy, is God's perpetual invitation to a new walk with Him. I wouldn't miss it for the world!



I love to tell the story,
for those who know it best
seem hungering and thirsting
to hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory,
I sing the new, new song,
'twill be the old, old story
that I have loved so long.



How has God given you fresh understanding of old Truth?
What are your favorite ways to renew your hunger for God?
________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

Counting my next 1000 Gifts, joining Ann in The Joy Dare--like a scavenger hunt for graces, gifts and glory!! Wanna come along?  I dare ya!!

The continuing JOY DARE: 
#1612-1632 (July 22nd through July 28th)

22. 3 Gifts Understated
The fragrance of my Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist in my hair
The miles-distant cry of the train whistle as the California Zephyr rolls into the station
The soft blue of twilight
23. A Gift High, Low, Far Away
  A big goal to reach by midnight--the bar seems so high--I did it! My energy by the end of the day--spent it all!! Family spread far and wide--I miss all of them like crazy!!
24. 3 Gifts of Sand
Memories of beaches in the Okanagan Valley--Okanagan, Sunoka, and Skaha!
Memories of finding beautiful agates in the sand of Agate Beach on the Oregon Coast
Memories made and pictures taken at Wind and Sea Beach in La Jolla where the sand is turned to stone
25. 3 Gifts of Endings
Bittersweet words of farewell from my favorite teacher so far in my B.A. program!! Love you, Dr. Barbara!!!
Finishing touches on my final paper for her class
Words of gratitude from my teammates
26. 3 Gifts Fresh
Iced Peet's Coffee, bold and invigorating
Morning Air
Crisp, crunchy, fresh red bell peppers
27. A Gift on Vacation, at Home, in Relaxation
Pictures to take
Being ourselves 
Calm in the midst of the storm
28. 3 Gifts of Beginnings
The Olympics--I love the drama of sports!
Prepping for my next class that starts on Tuesday
My own experiment in neuroplasticity

   Beauty in His Grip ButtonOn In Around button




A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh