Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Like Eagles Do

--
"Faith is the heroic effort of your life, you fling yourself in reckless confidence on God. "

Like a suspended blue marble, earth spins in space, while we six billion souls cling to it like tiny magnets, wanting desperately for it to be solid and sure.

It. Is. Not.

From the rocks beneath our feet, to the governments over our heads, to the markets that buy and sell our livelihoods, nothing is immovable.  It is all shifting sand and in times like these, we can't fool ourselves into thinking otherwise.  We can scarcely turn our wide-eyed gaze from the rumbling and shifting landscape of our lives right now because the What-If's are looming large and threatening on the horizon.

Shall we wring our hands in despair and just keep staring?  Shall we run in a panic to gather our families and our belongings and hold them tight?  Shall we batten down the hatches and hope the ship can withstand the deluge?

Or . . .

. . . shall we take a flying leap of heroic faith? 


I say we leave our perch on this perilous crag and lean out onto the wind where we can soar like eagles do!


I say we stop clinging to dusty rocks and know that the Rock of Ages is holding onto us!


I say we fling ourselves in reckless and joyous confidence onto Almighty God who is the only One worthy of our trust! 


"but those who hope in the LORD 
   will renew their strength. 
They will soar on wings like eagles;"
                                Isaiah 40:31a NIV


Even when we keep our feet on the ground, we can have confidence in God's power to uphold us:


   "they will run and not grow weary, 
   they will walk and not be faint."
                                Isaiah 40:31a NIV   


Who will come and soar with me?


Is it really reckless if it is God who holds us?
How does it feel to trust yourself to God in the midst of turmoil?

Comments

  1. This is a timely reminder for me--thank you for the encouraging words. It is so easy to forget who is in control when everything around us is spinning wildly. The Oswald Chambers quote is especially inspirational...I've never thought of faith as heroic, or the act of "flinging in reckless confidence" to God. I love the visual that gives! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this was a blessing to you Laura! We all need reminders--when I write, it's usually me I need to remind most of all! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback and look forward to your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Simple Simplicity