Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Daughters of Eve


Weighed in the balance and found wanting . . . found wanting . . . found wanting . . .
Wow! Who turned up the reverb?  :)

This is the loop that plays and plays and plays in my mind as I look across the scales of perfectionism at that ideal me over there on the other side.  Why can't I be like her, like the me I want to be?!!

SLIM, ATHLETIC, HEALTHY AND IN SHAPE
BEAUTIFUL FACE, HAIR, MAKEUP, CLOTHES
ALWAYS ON TIME, NEVER FORGETS
PRIORITIZES PERFECTLY, NEVER PROCRASTINATES
ALWAYS PREPARED, EVEN FOR THE UNEXPECTED
ALWAYS KNOWS WHAT TO SAY
ALWAYS LIVES UP TO HER POTENTIAL
OVERCOMES OBSTACLES AS THOUGH THERE WEREN'T ANY
ACHIEVES EVERY GOAL, ACCOMPLISHES EVERY DREAM
ALWAYS HAS MEALS READY, GOURMET AND ON TIME
AMAZINGLY TALENTED WRITER, PHOTOGRAPHER, TOO HUMBLE TO THINK SO
WRITES BOOKS THAT CHANGE LIVES
SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSWOMAN WITH SIX-FIGURE PROFITS
HAS A SPOTLESS HOUSE, LAUNDRY ALWAYS DONE
NEVER HAS ANYTHING TO BE SORRY FOR
NEVER INCONVENIENCES ANYONE, NEVER LETS ANYONE DOWN
PERFECTLY EXUDES THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IN EVERY SITUATION
ALWAYS PLEASES GOD, MAY BE THE MODEL FOR PROVERBS 31
LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE JESUS PEOPLE CAN'T TELL THEM APART

That's who I wish I was, but I am never ENOUGH. 

"Daughters of Eve never are!" sneers the lying whisperer.

Women are unwitting heirs of a peculiar fault line that cracked Eve's heart when she first believed Satan's lie that she was not enough.  He was like the very first magazine in the grocery store line claiming it has secrets to a better you--"Eat this superfruit and be like God!"  In that one enticing lie, Satan told Eve that 1) living in personal, intimate communion with the God of all creation was not enough; 2) being the perfect helpmeet for Adam was not enough; 3) being the mother of the human race was not enough; 4) being made in the image of God was not enough

 . . . SHE was not enough.

Eve bought the lie and lost everything.  She lost it for all her daughters too.  We have never gotten over it.  Ever since that tragic day, Eve's girls have been questioning whether we are enough of anything.  Beautiful enough, skinny enough, smart enough, accomplished enough, equal enough, spiritual enough, fun enough, sexy enough, wife enough, mother enough, homemaker enough, businesswoman enough, servant of God enough, Proverbs 31 woman enough . . . the answer always seems to be no, and the enemy's cackle still rings with his triumph over Eve and her daughters.

This is no pity party--I think the Fall affected men and women in unique ways.  As women, there is just something in our wiring, something in our sin-marred DNA that tells us the same lie again and again. It's like there is a spiritual hangover of guilt and shame and doubt that affects us all since Eve got intoxicated with the idea of being MORE.

What are the true words?  What does my Maker say?  Is He still angry with me because of what Eve did?  How does He answer my accuser?

"For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ." Romans 5:17 NLT

I like the way The Message paraphrases that same verse:

"If death got the upper hand through one man's wrongdoing, can you imagine the breathtaking recovery life makes, sovereign life, in those who grasp with both hands this wildly extravagant life-gift, this grand setting-everything-right, that the one man Jesus Christ provides?" Romans 5:17 MSG

It doesn't matter that in Eve I am not enough--that's why Jesus came!  He came to set right all that Adam and Eve broke.  Love so lavish compels me to ignore the lying whisperer; to hear Truth and speak Life instead; to live in grace and triumph.  What matters is this: When I know the One who IS ENOUGH, I don't have to be!  My life is in Him and that is ENOUGH for me.


Jesus is ENOUGH!

Jesus in me is ENOUGH!!


How will you rewrite the loop you play in your head?
How can we help our daughters live in the knowledge of the One who IS ENOUGH?

Comments

  1. It's so true and those lies are sure easy to believe! This weekend I was at a women's retreat and we talked a lot about the enemy's lies and how we too easily fall into the trap of agreeing with him--giving power to the wrong being. I'd certainly never thought of it that way, but claiming God's truth brings a joy that can't compare with the depths that constantly seeking perfection brings.

    You are a blessing and an amazing woman of God, Shaunie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so interesting how God starts emphasizing the same thing through multiple platforms--evidently this is on His heart because so many people have been talking about similar subjects. Thanks so much for your encouragement to me Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shaunie, our Bible study group is just finishing up a book by Carolyn Custis James...have you read any of her stuff??
    She really wants women to have a biblical view of themselves and a true biblical view of the women in scripture. She finds it interesting that thru the years Eve has been remembered for her failure, and all women have been placed under that curse, instead of remembering what she was created for...first, to be an image bearer of God, and second to be a
    important player in the spiritual battle that rages around us. She has the most amazing teaching on the word "ezer" (rhymes with razor), which translators choose to render as "helpmeet" in Genesis. Biblical scholars now know that the word "ezer" is used most often in the O.T. to refer to God as Israel's helper in times of trouble. So a more accurate translation would read "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a strong helper suitable for him"..... C.C.James goes on to say..."Eve and all her daughters are "ezers"--- strong warriors who stand alongside their brothers in the battle for God's kingdom"... James' writing is freeing and encouraging. She is Not a feminist...she says that the Bible clearly teaches that men need women and women need men. It is really good stuff. I have an extra book, if you have time to read, and are interested, I would love to send you a copy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marji,
    I have not read her books, but it sounds great! I would love to read it and would be happy to have a copy! I love the idea of remembering Eve for what she was created for--in an indirect way, that's what I was hoping to recapture (for myself) too. I would welcome a chance to study this further--thanks Marji!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback and look forward to your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh