Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Three Strikes and I Win?

--
I had struck out for the third time. In some games, that means you're out, but this time it meant I won! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A couple of weeks ago, I had hit a low spot, wondering if God was hearing me at all. My friend and Bible study leader had called me that Sunday afternoon and hearing the need in my heart, she prayed with me. It was such a comfort and uplift to hear someone else passionately, enthusiastically asking God to help us--I was tired of only hearing my own voice all the time! I went into the week, eager to see how God was going to work. Three times I had put in my application and been interviewed for posted positions in my office. On that Thursday, I got the word that for the third time I had not been selected. This time my friend (who is already in a position like the one I had applied for) came to talk to me as soon as she heard I had not received the sought-after promotion. "I'm so sorry!" she said, "I just heard." Her eyes searched mine, concerned for how I must be feeling in the face of the disappointment. "Thank you," I said with a smile, "but it's really okay. God knows what He's doing, and He'll work everything out." It wasn't just something I thought I was supposed to say, I really meant it and my smile came from genuine joy. Somehow, at that moment, I was filled with confidence that if God had thought it best for me to get this job (or the two before it), I would have, and since I didn't, God must have a better idea.
"As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.'" Rom 10:11 NIV
I kept praying, kept working hard, kept caring for the people in my office. On Thursday, out of the blue, I got a call from our regional office in Seattle, offering me the same kind of position I had applied for and asking if I was still interested. Interested??? Absolutely I was interested!! HERE WAS GOD'S ANSWER!! I was so surprised though--how had this happened? When I met with the office manager, she explained that they had rather boldly asked for permission to do something that required an alteration to the normal sequence of the hiring process, and to their pleased surprise (and mine!), they were cleared to go ahead and offer me the position! On top of that, it was in the department I'm already working in, where I wanted to stay!! I was so excited! The promotion and the extra money that comes with it are a direct answer to prayer! Not only that, but I was excited that now I got to tell my friend in the office, "See?!! I KNEW God knew what He was doing!!" It was SUCH a great moment to know that my bold confidence in God, in front of the people in my workplace, was not going to come to naught! He did NOT let me be put to shame! I was even more excited about that than I was about the money--at this point, that's really sayin' somethin'!! :) I share this story so it might bring courage to anyone feeling like their reasons to hope are fading. I share it to give God the glory for the way He is smoothing the way and providing for our needs. I share it to express gratitude to all the people who have been praying, and who continue to pray for me and my family, and to the God who listens to those prayers and who comes through in His own stylish way to answer them!
Can you share a time when God turned an apparent defeat to victory? Who do you know who needs to hear your voice praying passionately to God on their behalf?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Simple Simplicity