Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

"But If It Dies . . . "

-- A surprise text message broke up the monotone of the workday. Drummer Boy was 4 stories below asking me to meet him there for lunch in an hour. Delighted, I shared the fun surprise with coworkers who "ooohed and aaaahed" over the marvel of an 18 year old son choosing to come hang out with his mother! I beamed. We filled up the 30 minutes of my lunch break with talk of many things. We laughed and shared and caught up on things we haven't had as much time to talk about since I've been working--after all, for all his 18 years, I have been a stay-at-home-mom, ALWAYS there, ALWAYS available. It's not easy to adjust when things have changed from how they've been your whole life! As we got ready to go our separate ways for the afternoon, he spoke very grown up words of gratitude for the sacrifice I'm making to help the family--his description, not mine. He knows that this is a job for the purpose of a paycheck, and that there is no passion inspired by the work itself to make it come from the inside out. He, with his creative spirit, knows how against my grain it goes to do something just for the money and sees that this is work I MUST do "as unto the Lord." He blessed my heart with his recognition that my going to do this job every day is a sacrifice of love. I've been learning about following Jesus' example as a kernel of wheat and His willingness to die in order to produce many seeds.
"I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." John 12:24 NIV
This job, a gift from God, (no matter how many secret tears I cried in the car with Him on the way to work the first week), is an opportunity to be a kernel of wheat, to die to myself in order to live love for my family. What I am doing is helping to meet a need, and if I am to be like Jesus, I must choose to love sacrificially. I can never do as much as He did, but I can certainly follow Him in the path of laying my life down in sacrificial love for others. Jesus set the example for me . . . I am living in the middle of a chance to set the example for my son and daughter . . . I wonder who will be inspired by the examples they will set as God gives them opportunities? On my way up the elevator, back to the monotone (and the dear people I work with--they are the part of the job I truly enjoy!), I had a lightness of heart that stayed with me the rest of the day. My love for my family and my love for my Jesus is finding its mark. In dying, I most truly live as Christ lives through me! "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galations 2:20 NIV
How are you learning to live by dying? As a kernel of wheat, are you willing to go down into death in order to spring up with seed-producing resurrection life?
P.S. Just in case you're wondering:
  1. The picture of Drummer Boy and I was taken by my fabulous photographer friend, Sara Goetz! Thank you Sara!!
  2. The cross in the 2nd picture was designed and hand-crafted by my brother, Chad Allen. So proud of you little brother!! You can contact him through his website for purchase information.

Comments

  1. I hope my sons want to have dates with me someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very heart-warming story. Your son rises up and calls you blessed! I love good mama's who raise godly sons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure they will Jessica!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lisa--he certainly blessed me with his words and his gift of time! So glad you enjoyed this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you come with "do it unto the LORD" attitude to work everyday, think of how many lives you will touch. I know you already did, and continue to do so. Isn't God a genius?!!! When you the kernel of wheat dies, it not only produces seeds for your family, but many seeds wherever He sent you. Keep shining for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! Truly God is a Genius and He holds me together each and every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback and look forward to your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh