Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Without Fail

--

"Without fail." Quietly, fiercely, almost to himself, he answered her question.

It was only two words, just one soft-spoken answer delivered by Denzell Washington's character in the movie The Book of Eli, but it has echoed in my heart ever since.

A young woman, who knew nothing of such things, had asked him whether he read the book every day . . . the book he treasured above all else, including his life. [Spoiler Alert] I don't want to give too much away if you haven't seen the movie, but this very special book was none other than the last remaining copy of the Bible in a post-apocalyptic world.

This scene, and maybe the whole movie, put a fine point on thoughts my Father had been laying before me all week. First, last Sunday when our pastor spoke of using his phone and a Bible app to listen to the Bible being read out loud, and how important it is to personally eat this daily bread even for pastors who study it as their vocation. That made me think of things I learned in a recent psychology class about how much more effectively we learn when we involve more than one of our senses in the intake of information. Then God tapped me on the shoulder as I listened to Hero Husband's excitement as he was sharing with me the things that struck him as he read the wonderful novel by William P. Young, The Shack, for the first time--". . . it's all about relationship!" he said. And finally came those words of conviction and reliant devotion to God, in a Hollywood movie of all places, "Without fail."

They burrowed in deep and stung hot like fire. Had I been asked at that moment, I could not have answered with those passionate words. God gently connected the dots for me. I had been feeling dry and dusty, empty of words to share here, weary with school writing that had to follow the strict constraints of academic standards, and feeling a little adrift--now I could see why. It wasn't the routine of daily Bible reading I needed. As a lifelong Christian I know perfectly well its importance in my life, but not because I get spiritual brownie points for checking off chapters in my reading plan. What was missing, what I was missing, was consistent time in the beautiful presence of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the gracious and glorious triune God who lives and breathes life into me through those precious Words.

It isn't the words that save, but the Logos Himself who meets me in them. There is no magic in the daily routine, except that I need HIM every day! When I saturate my heart with the wonder of the heart of God shared with me through His words, I find myself wrapped in the arms of the love that never fails!

1 Corinthians 13:8a NIV

I know I fail my Father too often, but I want to be able to say that spending time on His lap every day is something I do without fail! You too?


Do you ever find inspiration in unlikely places?

________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

Counting my next 1000 Gifts, joining Ann in The Joy Dare--like a scavenger hunt for graces, gifts and glory!! Wanna come along?  I dare ya!!

The continuing JOY DARE: 
#1675-1695 (August 12th-18th)


12. 3 gifts half-hidden
Deer resting in tall grass
The dining room table I am determined to have un-buried by Wednesday afternoon!
Clean cabinets above my desk--half-hidden because I keep opening the doors to see how clean they are!
13. 3 gifts in green
Petite peas
Tiny, perfect oranges that are growing on my tree
The promise of a new football season approaching on green grass all over North America
14. A gift in a ring, curve, sphere
The return of bull-riding!
The perfect arc across the sky of sun, moon, and stars that show God's handiwork
The glass globe where I can display fresh flowers in water
15. 3 gifts ugly-beautiful
Hot, sweaty evidence of me having a productive morning
Stack of mail that still needs my attention, but that held a new picture of our World Vision child in India, beautiful Gudiya!!
Laundry that goes in dirty and comes out clean
16. 3 gifts of family
Hero Husband and She So Sweet home from their adventures!
Our Wednesday afternoon gathering at Peet's/Daphne's with the four of us
Counting the days until my brother's wedding and the family who will gather to celebrate with him!
17. 3 gifts in the morning
Ironing while morning air keeps me cool 
Scrambled eggs with mustard
Good morning hugs and kisses--first things first
18. A gift red, read, written
Ruby red cranberry juice with light shining through it
The final chapter of Wedded to War (Heroines Behind the Lines) by Jocelyn Green
Discussion questions for class, another day checked off as complete

   Beauty in His Grip Button
On In Around button
A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh