Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Apologies from a Thoughtherder

--
I feel like I've been a bad blogger the last couple of weeks. I have been absent and silent and sorry I'm not better at this.

Gathering my thoughts these days is a lot like herding cats. So many of them crowding around in my head, some of them in clusters, others lone and wandering and scattered. Some of them stumble and lurch in uncertain circles, like kittens fighting for equilibrium on their four inexperienced and uncoordinated feet, while others march in regimented lock step, kicking the unsteady ones unceremoniously out of the way (they look a little pretentious to me). A few are angry and frustrated trying to walk a direct, purposeful line through the chaos of the others, ears back and squinty-eyed, they keep trying to ignore the distractions, with limited success. Don't be surprised if you hear an indignant yowl or a hiss and spat of protest when they get bumped into. Somewhere in the wild and woolly fray, the ones I feel sorry for are the ones who just want to jump up to bat at a butterfly, or roll lazy in spring sunshine, or who, like miniature lions crouch low and stalk silent after who-knows-what in their imagined savannah--they're having a hard time of it.



This is a season of busy, a time of plate-spinning, a time to hold on while the ride dips and speeds around corners over steep rises and down dizzying drops with no steering wheel or brake pedal to regulate the course.

I hope to do a better job of having consistent posts, but when school work demands my attention, I may not always be able to do all the good things I want to do. I pray for you, my beloved readers, for your health and wholeness and that God will keep your hearts encouraged and energized for all He has created you to do and be and become. I am so grateful that any of you are still here at all, and I thank you for your patience with me. I appreciate every comment you post and every one of you who quietly reads behind the scenes! 

"Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy . . ." Philippians 1:2-4 NIV1984


________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"
Counting my next 1000 Gifts, joining Ann in The Joy Dare--like a scavenger hunt for graces, gifts and glory!! Wanna come along?  I dare ya!!

The continuing JOY DARE: 
#1358-1402 (April 28th through May 13th)

29. 3 gifts in dirt
The bulbs underground that every year produce my glorious irises!
Piles of laundry, dirty clothes that give tangible evidence of us living full and lively lives!!
The dust we're all made of, formed by God's hand, and filled with His breath
30. A gift given, made, sacrificed
Hugs and squeezes
Petitions to God on behalf of people who needed a touch from God today
Calories sacrificed in order to move toward a healthier me
1. 3 gifts tasted
She So Sweet's chicken salad--what a lovely creation that turned out to be!
The last of the borscht I made the other day--remembering Bubs, the dear lady who gave me the recipe
Tater tots with ketchup
2. 3 gifts flat
The surface of my treadmill--nothing to trip me up
My computer monitor--window on the world
Farmland--all around this country there is rich, fertile, flat farmland where farmers grow good food for us
3. 3 gifts found in difficult people--we are all difficult people, me most of all, so these are gifts found in people with absolutely no emphasis on the difficult =)
Good service from baristas at Peet's and Starbucks throughout Contra Costa County.
The young man I met at school who has been through so much, but is persevering and trusting God for every day
That when I told her the story of Joseph, she said, "I'm going to think about this."
4. 3 gifts before 9 AM
A chance to sleep a little later than usual
Hard boiled eggs done just right
Snuggle time with She So Sweet
5. a gift in a sign, a smile, a snack
15 Minute Parking space open when I just had a quick 10-minute errand to run!
Drummer Boy when I brought him breakfast in bed for no particular reason
Triple berry muffins with much cinnamon!

6. 3 gifts found in Christ
Companionship
Joy
Happily ever after
7. 3 gifts about your home
That we have central heating and cooling--so thankful for AC when the weather heats up!!
That I still see it as a long-awaited dream come true.
That in it we are a family who loves each other well.
8. 3 gifts inside a closet
Clothes to wear
Jackets and shoes--so many we hardly know what to do with them all!
Places to put things--well, that's the idea anyway =)
9. 3 gifts found in the dark
The dark in my cup--Peet's Coffee
The dark in her brown eyes--She So Sweet singing at her school's coffee house
The dark in the almost-summer sky that brings cool after the heat of the day
10. a gift outside, inside, upside down
A pair of flirting house finches--what a dance!
A nap inside the car while I waited for She So Sweet
His Kingdom and everything that goes with it (upside down here, but right side up there!)
11. 3 gifts about your parents
That I get to be with them in 4 DAYS!!!
That they love mountains as much as I do!! 
That they are so easygoing and fun to be with no matter what we do!!
12. 3 gifts held in hand today
An old organizer found while cleaning that held a letter I wrote to Drummer Boy the day before he started Kindergarten.
The three packages of spearmint gum Hero Husband bought so I'd have plenty for my trip
Smores, made with GIANT mashpillows (what She So Sweet called marshmallows when she was little) and Hershey's Special dark chocolate, and shared over laughter 
13. 3 gifts found in your mother
Courage to follow her convictions and to dream God-sized dreams
Joy, the kind that bubbles up from inside a heart full of Him and the kind she chooses in spite of chronic pain
Wonder--it's just the way she sees!


   Beauty in His Grip Button


On In Around button
A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity