Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Our Solid Rock in Crashing Waters

--



In a jubilant rush from the steep slopes of Mount Sir Donald and the glaciers in the surrounding crown of peaks, come the spectacular liquid jade waters of the Illecillewaet River and Asulkan Brook in my beloved British Columbia.  The two rushing flows come together in a veritable cacophony of sparkle and sound at a place picturesquely called "The Meeting of the Waters."


It is a place of contrasts, at once ancient and permanent as well as endlessly new and changing, both a crashing cymbal and a love-tender lullaby. It is a place both exhilarating and hypnotic, thrilling and stilling, wild and loud and boisterous while simultaneously a place of deep peace and heart-quiet. I have a feeling I could spend many months there with terabytes of memory cards and still not capture all its moods and secrets and longings.

I perpetually frame pictures, no matter where I am or what I'm doing.  On a bright September day I looked around this magical place, and true to my photographer's habit, I spent time mentally framing rectangles to see how I might convey to all of you, or to someone who's never been there, the essence of the contrasts of the collision-turned-collaboration of the Illecillewaet and the Asulkan Meeting of the Waters.

This place has not been far from my thoughts since the glorious day I spent there, maybe because I am in a season of hustle-bustle, go-go-go, get-him-there-in-time-to-pick-her-up-from-there, hard-to-keep-up-with-it-all days. God knew I would need a picture (He always gives me a picture!) to help me keep my balance.



No matter how fast the water moves, the rocks stay perfectly still.

Our lives are so like those flowing, rushing, crashing, colliding waters, keeping a pace we hardly know how to manage, and yet, despite how it sometimes feels, we are not abandoned to the uncontrollable movement of this life we so clearly cannot control. We have One who with utter stillness and solidity, perfect constancy and immovability, gives us a stable place to stand through all of life's mad rush--He is our rock, our firm place to put our feet, our safe place to rest . . . in Him.

     "Everything I hope for comes from him, . . .

He's solid rock under my feet,
breathing room for my soul,
An impregnable castle:
I'm set for life."



How has God proven Himself rock solid in your crashing-water life?
___________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Mondays
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"


#806-820
806. Very nice man in Permissions at Tyndale!
807. New Scotty McCreery CD where the cross he wears is right at home in the music he sings
808. The soft pat, pat, pat of the first raindrops
809. The free-flowing and sparkling personality of a girl named LaRhonda who loves her job
810. The technology that allows me to take Amy Grant, Bon Jovi, Adele, Big and Rich,  and Bryan Duncan on my walk with me!
811. Wild weather!
812. The way truth shines bright in a very dark world
813. Shopping with She So Sweet, laughing, and finding just what she needed . . . finally!
814. Fun times with a dog named Sparky
815. Seeing She So Sweet's eyes light up with excitement over her new job!
816. Getting to share a burrito with Hero Husband
817. An evening for the whole family to dress up and go out to a fancy restaurant thanks to a very nice gift certificate from a generous friend
818. The decadent deliciousness of scallops
819. A church service that was a breath of fresh air in so many ways
820. A very memorable Raider win, and all that is good about the game of football (so much!)

Joining Michelle DeRusha for:

Joining L.L. Barkat for:
On In Around button

Joining Laura Boggess for:

and joining Jen and her Sisterhood:


A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity