Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

On Whirring Wings

--

When do you suppose it happens?  Where along the way do we begin to become things we're not?  And at what point do we stop becoming the things we are . . . or get sidetracked, anyway?

Why are we tempted to squeeze ourselves into molds other than what God designed us to be?  How is it that sometimes we're not even sure we KNOW what He wants us to be?  "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Are you any of the things you thought you'd be?  Sometimes, even when we are grown up, we're not sure if we know the answer to that question, and being what we'll be feels as far distant as it did when we were children,

. . . maybe farther.

It can't possibly be for lack of options.  In our time, the options are practically limitless!  Maybe there are too many options, and we just can't zero in on what our "thing" is. Maybe we have a vague idea or bits and pieces that seem unrelated, but we can't quite nail it down to an elevator speech that sounds polished and professional. Or maybe we think our "thing" isn't marketable, or has already been done, and probably better than we could ever do it, so why try?  Maybe we're afraid we'll sound presumptuous if we say it out loud.  Maybe we haven't the foggiest notion how to get there, even if we do have an idea what IT is.

Maybe . . . Maybe . . . Maybe . . .

Maybe what feels like legitimate reasoning
is just a collection of cleverly disguised excuses
that keep us
wistful
and wishful
and stuck.

Hummingbirds never question what they ought to be when they grow up.  They are, from day one, laser-focused on the things they are divinely designed to do.  Like tiny fighter jets possessing the agility of helicopters, they can perform maneuvers that run circles around those mechanical similitudes.  They make full use of their very particularly equipped beaks and slurp up every bit of nectar within reach of their specialized tongues.

Have you ever seen a hummingbird look discouraged or dejected or confused?  Have you ever known a hummingbird who tried to roar like a lion, or who wanted to run like a racehorse?  Me neither.

Instead, with their cherubim wings arrayed in iridescent colors only the angels can name, they hum and they flit, they hover and they dive.  All this while shimmering in the Son-made sunlight, making the world beautiful with every awe-inspiring flap of their blurring, whirring wings.

They are exactly what God made them to be!

The last thing I want to make is an excuse!  I can't tell what tomorrow holds, never mind my whole future, but I do know that 1) my calling is obedience to God's Word, 2) my purpose is to love and bring glory to God, and 3) my destiny is a life transformed to the likeness of Christ.  Beyond this threefold Master plan for my life He has left a lot of leeway for me to dream big dreams and uniquely put my personality and gifts to work for Him.  He promises wisdom to those who ask Him for it--to those who believe He will give it.

Oh my friends, spread your wings--that's what God gave them to you for!  Fly high and sing your song as only you can.  Do not listen to the naysayers (particularly the one in the mirror) who call you replaceable and those who try to clip your wings to keep you on the ground.  Follow leaders who follow Jesus and then, GO on whirring wings to new heights for His glory!

"Whatever you do,
do it enthusiastically,
as something done for the Lord . . ."


Do you know what you want to be when you grow up?
What big dreams are you designed to make come true?
________________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp for her Multitude Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

#326-340
326. The old man in the baseball cap who took his dog out to play ball
327. The satisfying snap of sliding a headphone cord into a headphone jack
328. Red tail lights reflecting red streaks off wet pavement
329. Fleece blankets
330. Drummer Boy's exciting call about getting great feedback on his new song from someone who knows whereof he speaks!
331. Being inside during a storm, with windows to watch it from
332. Shared laughter
333. She So Sweet, glowing happy
334. My house, minus a mouse!
335. Hero Husband who disposed of said subtracted mouse
336. When she said, "That's not how we roll!" =)  She was right.
337. Birds that puff their feathers out round and fat to keep warm
Nanny McPhee (Widescreen Edition)338. Watching Nanny McPhee again with Hero Husband and enjoying it like children
339. Sleepyhead teenagers
340. That bad haircuts aren't permanent! :-/

Also joining L.L. Barkat for:
 On In Around button

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh