Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

In a Season of Fog

--
Inhale . . .

Exhale . . .

Breath of earth . . .

With the fall of eventide the ocean sighs a soft slow breath and the fog overwhelms the shore in giant-scale waves like the ones that crash on the beach. Air weighs heavy, time suspends, vision diminishes and things of size and substance disappear as everything is swallowed in the swirl of minute drops of water flowing like the ocean from whence they came.

Fog has been a frequent visitor this winter, more so than any other I remember.  One night as I drove, fog lights brightening the cloud around me, the fog was so thick, I literally could not tell where I was.  All the usual landmarks and street signs, intersections and buildings were completely shrouded from sight.  At times I couldn't even tell where the curb was to follow the contour of the street. Even though I was never more than 3 miles from home, on a route that practically has my own personal groove in it from repeated trips, I could not navigate in the fog.  

Is this my turn?  NO! Just a driveway! Where is the road? Is this where it curves up over the hill? I can't tell!

Where AM I?

So I turned on my car's navigation system.  

Okay . . . sigh of relief . . . confidence restored . . . now I know where I am!

I still had to go more slowly than usual, because I still couldn't see much farther than my windshield, but with the perspective of the map and the GPS marker showing me where I was, my feelings of disorientation and fear of making a wrong turn went away.

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21 NIV
He of the guiding voice knows where I am!  He knows every turn I should make and every obstacle that could trip me up--I must listen to Him!

He knows the way.


In a moment of clarity, I notice . . . I get it!

It is much less about where I am and so much more about where He is!

He is right behind me!

Did you see that?  "your ears will hear a voice behind you,"

The fog of uncertainty may cloud my view for a season, but it never clouds His!  He is the quintessential navigation system, and unlike the one in my car, God never misreads my location, sending me on wild goose chases.  He is the circle that surrounds me and shows me where I am, where I'm going and how to get there.

"For we live by faith, not by sight."

One more thing about fog--in the morning, the sunlight burns it away to reveal the glory of a new day. As the fog pulls back like a curtain, clear vision greets your eyes as if for the first time--you see it as never before, not as a given, not as something expected and taken for granted, but as a joyous and precious gift to be celebrated and for which to give Him thanks--God, the One who never loses sight of you!



What do you do when you can't see the way ahead?
How have you experienced God as your personal navigator?
________________________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp for her Multitude Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!

        
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

#266-280
266. That She So Sweet still likes to call me "Mimi" like she did when she was a baby
267. That I secretly like Drummer Boy's new nickname for me, but don't tell him I said so ;)
268. She So Sweet's confidence when she had to referee two basketball games without a partner on her second night ever!  "Let's get this game started!" she said and went to do her job.  I admire that girl!!
269. That this fender bender only hurt car metal and my feelings
270. That Hero Husband was full of the Fruit of the Spirit when I called--love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control
271. For She So Sweet's giving heart and the cookies she made to help me feel better
272. For Drummer Boy's late night antics and zany sense of humor that made me laugh when I thought I couldn't
273. Peet's Coffee at home to start my day
274. Ozonol & band-aids
275. Clean towels, neatly folded
276. Receiving one of my own greeting cards they sent to thank me (I love my Mommy and Daddy!)
277. My dishwasher
278. Our new thermostat that works beautifully, and Hero Husband who installed it!
279. For our troops and their families who serve our country with such courage
280. That when I feel powerless in the face of violent images from Egypt, I can pray for the people living through those frightening events, and the leaders who have decisions to make.

Also joining L.L. Barkat for:
 On In Around button

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity