Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Generosity Beyond Measure

-- Imagine an edict has gone out from Heaven, putting humankind in charge of determining who is going to receive eternal life. How do you think people would go about it? For a prize so great to be given out, people might hold a contest of some kind, like a beauty pageant or a football game, a singing competition or tennis match. People would have to prove they were the best at something, wouldn't they? There would surely be forms to fill out . . . lots and lots of forms and disclaimers and legal mumbo jumbo--just to make sure it was all handled fairly of course. Or maybe the powers that be would decide to create a difficult quest of some kind and only the people who successfully completed the quest would qualify for eternal life, yeah, that's probably how they'd do it. Imagine the rules that would have to be followed and the entry fees that would have to be paid. I'm guessing there would be major hoops to be jumped through and hurdles to be cleared for anyone who fancied a chance at eternal life, if it were even possible. I mean in the world of humanity, nothing comes for free, and certainly nothing of any value comes without a high price tag! Thankfully, people don't determine the distribution of eternal life, God does. Eternal life for finite, broken, little old us, was God's idea. He could have done anything He wanted to do and with limitless possibilities open to Him, He chose to send His only Son to be born as a baby, grow up as one of us, and ultimately to die in our place to pay our sin debt in full. This is what Jesus said about God's plan for giving away eternal life: "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24 NIV Are you as incredulous and amazed as I am at the incomprehensible generosity of God. Whoever BELIEVES!! Not whoever is beautiful enough, not whoever is strongest, fastest or bravest, not the people with the deepest pockets, not even the ones who could jump over all the hurdles or fill out the forms without making any mistakes, no . . . Jesus said,
WHOEVER BELIEVES!
It's so simple, it's beyond profound:
The gift whose worth cannot be measured given freely to people who can never measure up!! THAT is Christmas. THAT is the Gift. THAT is the Generosity of God.
As we approach these last days leading up to Christmas and we anticipate the fun of giving gifts as generous as we are able to give to our loved ones, I am praying that we will experience and share the knowledge of God's great big magnanimous soul as never before, and that we will each receive His gift of eternal life to its fullest measure.
From the Friday Family to you and yours, we wish you a Merry Christmas filled with His incomparable joy!
holy experience

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity