Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Finding My Rhythm in a Season of Beginnings

--

I've been having a hard time finding my rhythm. That isn't really new. In fact, I think I say that at the beginning of every school year, the beginning of every summer, the beginning of every new season.

Motherhood in particular, and life in general, both seem to be characterized by irregular time signatures, and I frequently scramble to adjust to those odd beats. Above and beyond the usual oddities, new things are swirling all over my schedule these days and the tempo has moved up a few notches on the metronome. This has the effect of putting me in a mild state of panic when something unexpected happens. I've just found the beat . . . okay, there it is, I can do this. I'm concentrating like crazy to stay on it now that I've found it, and then, out of the blue, someone throws in an impromptu stop, or points at me for a solo, or the time signature changes without warning and I'm afraid the whole audience will hear me missing beats and flubbing my part until I make the adjustment, IF I'm good enough to make the adjustment that is. (Maybe Drummer Boy can help me sort it out. He does this all the time like it's nothing--he can even twirl his sticks in the process!)

This time of change for me is all a little thrilling and terrifying, and sometimes just downright funny. The trick is to notice the humor in the moments when I'm flailing--I'm not always so good at that. I don't like to feel out of sync. I don't like to feel like I'm back on my heels. I don't like thinking about what the critics might say ("The band was amazing, all except for the drummer who couldn't find a rhythm to save her life! GET A NEW DRUMMER!")

From one day to the next, sometimes from one hour to the next, I don't know what my time will look like. Even when I think I know, there is always the potential for the unexpected. Seasons like this-- when the rhythm is hard to find-- are wonderful for developing our flexibility, and the ability to trust our Band Leader. He is never thrown by the funny rhythms of our lives and He always knows how to make it all into music, even when we lose our place and get off the beat.

"For everything there is a season,
a time for every activity under heaven."
Ecclesiastes 3:1 NLT

Father, please fill me with Your calm assurance, and provide me with the skill required for the rhythms I need to play in these wonderful and challenging days, in this very special season. Please take my faltering and somehow make music out of it all as only You can do!


Do you ever feel caught off-guard by life's funny rhythms?

P.S. While I adjust to all the newness of being back in school and new work and school schedules for both my kids, I ask your patience with any inconsistencies on my part in posting. I pray that I will settle in before long and will be able to stay on track with my blog publishing schedule, but if I don't post as regularly as I aspire to do, please bear with me. Thank you so much for being here!
________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"
Counting my next 1000 Gifts, joining Ann in The Joy Dare--like a scavenger hunt for graces, gifts and glory!! Wanna come along? I dare ya!!

The continuing JOY DARE: 
#1085-1105 (January 29th through February 4th)

29. a song heard--"Water Tower Town" by Scotty McCreery--yeah, I'm from one of those!
       a soft word--"Thanks Mom."
       where you saw light--our shed, all cleaned out, light shining deep inside
30. 3 old things seen new
       heirlooms that are on the wall every day, but whose stories She So Sweet had not heard
       cassette tape of an old performance with an old friend, and reconnecting--JOY!
       the framed piece of my high school gym floor that fills me with precious memories
31. a gift found on a paper-- wonderful thoughts on writing by Max Lucado, sent to me by Momma & Daddy
       in a person--Momma & Daddy's call to wish me a happy first day of school!
       in a picture--Grandma Fagen, wearing the watch that is my touchstone of inspiration
1. a gift found at 11:30 AM, at 2:30 PM and 6:30 PM
      11:30 AM--Hero Husband & She So Sweet on their way to her school where he spoke for her Christian club
      2:30 PM--Walking out of first meeting with She So Sweet's new Independent Study teacher thinking she was hand-picked, tailor-made just for her!!
      6:30 PM--Being able to offer a ride home to Lois, a dear friend who does so much for us
2. 3 things overheard today, all gifts
      Barista at Peet's greeting every single customer with a cheery, "How you doin' this morning?"
      My kids' laughter
      Hero Husband to She So Sweet, "I'm so glad you're mine!"
3. 3 gifts found in writing
     my own voice
     having to think clearly enough to put thoughts into words
     discipline
4. 3 gifts found when bent down
     the strength to get back up (even with a misbehaving knee)
     humility
     warm blankets, fresh from the dryer

   Beauty in His Grip Button

On In Around button

A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity