Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Of Change and Change-less-ness

--
Change is inevitable. Times change, seasons change, people change, ways of doing things change, we change. Many changes are good ones as we constantly try to improve our way of life, and the desire for change is what lies at the root of countless innovations and brilliant ideas.

Change can be a good thing, but change can also be dizzying, frightening and unsettling, even dangerous. Sometimes in the midst of so much that is changeable, we really need to have some things that never change.

It had been five LOOOOONNNGGGG years since I had been home to British Columbia--the longest I've ever been away. I knew about some of the things that have changed in that time--the high school I graduated from has almost completely been replaced with shiny new buildings--I didn't even have the heart to ask Daddy to drive down Main Street to see it. I loved it the way it was. Out on the wide open Indian Reserve I used to know as untouched grassland where I spent untold thousands of happy hours on horseback, now stand houses and a big new school--it looks so strange to the eyes of my memory. The huge pine tree that marked our favorite spot along the Ashnola River is gone--it leaves such an empty place.

These changes and others like them felt a little like ill-fitting new shoes that pinch your toes or rub your heels into blisters. Thankfully, despite the swirl of changes all around, there were so many things that had not changed one bit, things that felt as familiar and comfy as your favorite, formed-to-your-feet flip flops!


-- the mighty willow tree still weeps happiness from on high

-- the bank out front is still hosting hilarious games of "King of the Hill"
(or Queen of the Hill as the case may be) =)

-- the old family bell (since 1886) still sounds it's sweet warm tone
when it calls out through the cherry trees
(looking as pretty as it sounds in its beautiful new home designed and created by my gifted little brother)
-- the walls inside the house are still adorned with familiar pictures of the smiling faces of big love and full hearts, beautiful Western art, my great grandmother's clock with it's faithful "tick-tock" and mezmerizing pendulum, my grandfather's guitar he bought when he was 16, and my favorite picture of Jesus by Richard Hook
Jesus the Christ by Richard Hook

-- the love, acceptance and hospitality still drip off every moment
like refreshing dew on morning flowers

-- and the quiet . . . the quiet is still as deep and still and comforting
as the dark blue velvet of a star-spangled midnight.

Sometimes sameness and familiarity breed contempt--not so these things, this place, this home, these people. The sameness is part of its magic--you wouldn't want it any other way, and big changes would be a sad disappointment.

There is only One who truly never changes;

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."

What a paradox that He is always new and never changing. How wondrous to know that the One who WILL NOT leave me as He found me, is forever, blessedly the same!! His perfection has no need of change and we have such need for His rock-solid sameness. In the lasting beauties of this earth-life we see but mere glory-glimpses of the eternal beauties of heaven and the changeless One who prepares it for us! May you know Him anew today in all His unchanging grace.

________________________________

Joining Bonnie for:
And joining Emily for:

A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity