Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Keep Pressing On

--
Thank you in advance for indulging me in a reprise from the archives--I needed this message for myself
 and thought maybe someone else might be encouraged by it too!

It's been a busy week. For you too, I bet. Life just seems to be that way, doesn't it? I think there are moments in every busy week where we know we have to keep going, but our want-to is running low and we need a second wind. We need a boost, something to perk us back up and keep us in the game! Wanna see my 1-second Pep Rally? Here it is:

When I hit those moments where I face the choice to keep after it, or instead, to get distracted, fizzle out, get lazy, or just don't feel like doing what it takes to finish the race, this picture gives me the boost I need. IT FIRES ME UP!! It illustrates dedication so admirable that it motivates me to keep going when my flesh tries to pull me off course. It is the intensity I see in this picture that makes this my 1-second pep rally!

When I look at it, I can still feel the ground shake under those thundering hooves, I can still taste the dust churned up by the horse digging in to make that tight second-barrel turn, and I can hear the crowd cheering horse and rider to a flying finish, running all the way through the finish line! They pressed on, from the first explosive stride to start the race, barrel to barrel, turn after cranking turn, hoof beat on hoof beat, the girl completely one with the animal, both straining together 'til their race was done and a wild, screeching, sliding halt brought them to a stop just in time to avoid hitting the arena fence.

Barrel Racing times vary greatly from one event to another because of variations in arena size and dirt conditions. The PRCA world record is 13.52 seconds--my best time ever was 16 seconds flat. Regardless of the variations between amateur and professional, a barrel race is over before you know it. There is no place in the race for a lazy horse or a distracted rider. It takes complete focus, maximum effort, and full commitment from start to finish.

INTENSITY!!

I know what those few seconds feel like. I know the focus. I know the blur. I know the intoxicating mix of adrenaline and oxygen and the sweet-scented aroma cocktail of saddle soap, neatsfoot oil and sweaty horse-hide. This picture brings it all back, my own barrel racing days, and memories of the beloved horse that flew beneath my saddle. It also sparks those same feelings of determination, power straining ahead toward our goal--a great race, well-run, and hopefully a winner's prize at the end. When you're done, you catch your breath, hug your horse's neck and drink in the exhilaration!! Wow, that was SO! MUCH! FUN!!

THAT is how I want my life's race to be run! It goes so fast, there's no time to fritter away. Every moment counts and the victory and the prize are already promised!

RUN TO WIN!! KEEP GOING!! YOU CAN DO IT!! GO!! GO!!! GO!!!!

" . . . forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:13-14 NIV

Encourage yourself, or someone you know with the greeting card or poster of this image.
Press On print
Press On Poster by FridayDreaming--


How do you give yourself a pep-rally when you need one?
How might you encourage someone else whose intensity needs a boost?
___________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Mondays
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"


#671-685
671. The return of Professional Bull Riding after the summer break!
672. Holy Spirit power boost in my desire and commitment to healthy changes
673. My favorite rodeo shot blown up to poster size
674. A wonderful chicken dinner customized just for me by She So Sweet!
675. "Playing with the little hurts."
676. The sweet crunch of fresh raw cabbage
677. Really fun (and delicious AND healthy) lunch at the Lava Pit with K2
678. Extending our fun time walking around the new Whole Foods store and tasting the beet salad!
679. My dentist who fixed my broken crown quickly, painlessly and with the words, "No charge!"
680. Family get together with Hero Husband's family to celebrate his Mama's 70th Birthday
681. Two young French athletes who gave us quite a show playing ping pong
682. Volleyball in the grass and just the tiniest bit of muscle memory 
683. Cooling off in the pool
684. Seeing the moon through my nephew's telescope
685. Feeding a gentle giant--a beautiful silver and black (Raider colors!) Brahma bull

Joining Michelle DeRusha for:

Joining L.L. Barkat for:
On In Around button

Joining Laura Boggess for:

and joining Jen and her Sisterhood:


A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh