Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

My Hero, My Champion, My Daddy


The best basketball coach I know teaching
She So Sweet the game he loves.

Daddy, I hope you know that you’re my hero
   My hero, my champion, my coach
And every good thing a father should be and rarely is
   You have taught me such important things
In such creative, memorable ways.

Daddy, you’ve always made me feel so wanted
   Wanted and beautiful and loved
Things every girl should have a chance to feel but seldom does
   You always encouraged and believed
And somehow you made me believe in me.

Daddy, when it was time for me to leave home
   Our home, our family, our bit of heaven
All the safe, sweet things the world wants and hardly ever sees
   You gave me the courage to step out
To go find my life and to live it well.

Daddy, I hope the way I live makes you proud
   Proud and hopeful, and certain
That all the things you taught me have settled down and taken root
   My life is so much better, richer
Because you are my hero, Daddy.

I was almost 13 in this picture standing in our
cherry orchard, behind a fence
I helped Daddy build.
This was taken my senior year, the last time
I was home for the annual family pictures.


























A wonderful day doing one of Daddy's favorite things, hiking in the mountains!

The summer he retired after 40 years of teaching Phys. Ed. and coaching high school football and basketball.
I was sharing with him the scrapbook I had made of pictures and notes and letters from his former students and players.
I've told you a little bit about my daddy before, here, and here.

There is not a better father anywhere, except God! You see, my daddy built fences for my horses, he helped catch them when they got loose. He taught me humility, compassion, and the cost of procrastination . . . and grace. If he was disappointed that I wasn't a better athlete, he never showed it, not even a hint. He was proud of the things I pursued, even to the point of letting me cram my guitar in the back seat with my two brothers and I on a 3000 mile trip around the Western US.  I should have counted the number of times he packed and unpacked the Volvo to get out my guitar so I could sing--in campsites between British Columbia and Iowa, Grandma's house, an FCA camp in Washington--it didn't matter.  If he thought we could bless someone and remind them of the love of Jesus by having me share a song, he didn't mind a little rigmarole.

The same daddy who wrestled horses and guitars, the same daddy who put me up on his shoulders when I was a little girl, puts me on his shoulders every time we talk.  He lifts me up where I can see with his perspective, he encourages me like the outstanding coach he is, and the fathering he's done my whole life keeps me living to love God and to bless people.

"God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out,
'Abba! Father!'"

"Abba," an Aramaic word that is the equivalent of our word papa or daddy.  My daddy is so much like Jesus he has made it second nature for me to climb up on my Heavenly Father's lap and love Him. I can always come to God like a safe, secure, loved daughter, because that is what I've always been, both on earth in my daddy's arms and in Heaven's throne room with my Father God. I am able to know God as my Abba Father, my Papa, my Heavenly Daddy, because my own daddy knows God as his Abba Father so well.

Daddy, when there are too many miles that separate us on holidays and the ordinary days in between, please know how crazy I am about you and about being your daughter!! I am the blessed-est of blessed girls and I love you to pieces!!

     Happy Father's Day!!   

___________________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

#566-580

566. Novocaine!
567. A dentist who knows how to fix it!
568. The ability to rest
569. Artistry in music, dance, acting, writing
570. That we went back to check
571. Paperwork on its way
572. Previous bad haircut repaired after weeks of hating my hair!
573. A rare trip to Burger King
574. Drummer Boy finding a college group he really enjoyed
575. The ability to "gift" someone in need
576. An important thing accomplished 
577. She So Sweet's Triple Berry parfaits made with Grandma's vanilla custard recipe and topped with chocolate granola
578. Having old pictures to reminisce over
579. Twenty-three years of proof that I chose my children's father extremely well!
580. The pure blessing of being Keith Allen's little girl!


Joining Michelle DeRusha for:


Joining L.L. Barkat for:
On In Around button

and joining Jen and her Sisterhood:


A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!


Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity