Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

A Prayer for the Wondering

--
I hear them murmuring against You Lord.

They wonder why You let it happen . . . why You let the plates of earth grind and scrape in their underwater hiding place, changing the very face of the earth, changing the angle of earth's tilt on her axis.

They wonder why You let the waters of the Pacific leave their boundaries to march like an army of black dread over the face of northern Japan, stripping away whole lifetimes, whole worlds, our hearts with them.

They wonder why You let the danger pile higher and higher on these already beleaguered people with the looming threat of nuclear disaster.

When they pry their horrified eyes away from the trials of the nation of Japan, 24/7 news takes them to the Middle East, where violence is boiling like a witch's cauldron in some kind of twisted fairy tale where evil always wins in the end.  They wonder why despots live so long.  They wonder why it's so easy to spark the wrath of the mob.  They wonder if there is any hope for a peaceful solution in a land so quick to shed blood.

They wonder if it's the end of the world.

They think You aren't powerful.
They think You don't care.
They think You're cold and cruel and distant.
They think You must not be there.

Here on the other side of the world, the other side of those ill-behaved Pacific waters, sunsets are still beautiful . . .


. . . and flowers still bloom in a riot of gold and intoxicating perfume . . . should I feel guilty for enjoying them when the world is in such violent and devastating travail?


All I know is how You love.
All I know is that You are near.
All I know is that You are full of compassion.

In countless ways every day You cry out to the people of earth,
"Listen to Me, listen to Me, listen to Me!"
You speak in the tragedies and
You speak in the displays of beauty.  
You show us how vulnerable we are and
You proved once and for all how valuable we are.

Father, it's easy to pray for the innocent afflicted of Japan, and well we should pray, and help in ways we are able.  Remind us to pray for our enemies too.

There is no one on earth who isn't just as vulnerable as the people in Japan that unimaginable day!
There is no one on earth who isn't subject to the juggernaut of death in one form or another.
There is no one on earth who is immune to the ravages of sin.
There is no one on this wracked blue marble in space who doesn't desperately need
to call upon the Name of the Lord!

"I was overcome by trouble and sorrow.
Then I called on the name of the LORD:
   “O LORD, save me!”
The LORD is gracious and righteous;
   our God is full of compassion.
The LORD protects the simplehearted;
   when I was in great need, he saved me."
Psalm 166:3b-6 NIV1984


Father, please open the eyes and ears and minds and hearts of this wondering, murmuring world.
Turn the hearts of Your enemies.
Awaken the hearts of Your friends!
May we all call upon Your Name like never before!

Do you find yourself wondering the hard questions?
Do you notice Him in everything and call His name when you do?
_______________________________

Joining Ann Voskamp in counting His graces for her Multitudes on Monday
I hope you'll join in if you haven't already!
In the counting of the endless gifts I say with C. S. Lewis,
"This also is Thou!"

#371-385

371. News of a brand new family member in the process of being "fearfully and wonderfully made"
372. Wonderful phone visits from both brothers in two days!
374. Walking on air because the epiphany changes everything
375. Restoration of privileges when a goal has been reached
376. Paper clips
377. Saving a fortune in orange juice because my tree is so heavy-laden
378. An almost-argument between friends, averted!  Grace!!
379. Watching a good movie with Hero Husband
380. El Shaddai,  Warrior King who flashes His sword and rumbles strong in lightning and thunder!
381. The world scoured clean by an overnight storm
382. Microscopic fragrant mist as I harvest the zest from an orange
383. The seat-warmer in my car that I once scoffed at as unnecessary in this part of California--I still think it's unnecessary, but it sure feels good on a sore back!
384. Being able to listen to my college pastor's sermons online
385. A look back at God's provision over the past year (tax time is good for something after all!)

Joining L.L. Barkat for:
On In Around button

Joining Michelle DeRusha for:


A heartfelt thank you to these generous bloggers
who make these communities available!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity