Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

The Door God Always Opens

--
"Waiting impatiently for entrance, the boy glanced up at the arch.
Words were chiseled in the old, moss covered stones:  

 WELCOME ALL WHO HUNT.
 . . .
And so the boy escaped from the perilous Enchanted City because
he was a hunter at heart and hunters always find more than they know."

I wish I'd written that last line.

"he was a hunter at heart and hunters always find more than they know."

It rings a beautiful, crystal clear bell in my heart.  Like a tuning fork sounding the note you should tune to, a note you recognize, this resonates with the ring of truth.  So where have I heard that before . . . 


Ah yes, I remember, it was my Jesus who said,

"For everyone who asks receives;
he who seeks finds;
and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

Was Jesus saying that every door we knock on will be opened?  I think that would be answered with a resounding "NO!"  Not every door we knock on is a door that would be good for us, and having experienced my share of closed doors, I know that God doesn't just open a door because I knock, even if I knock repeatedly.

Wait . . . what did He say?

"and to him who knocks, THE door will be opened." [emphasis mine]

What door?  What door is it that I can knock on in complete confidence, knowing that it will be opened?

Jesus said this to His disciples as part of His response to their desire to learn from Him about how to pray.  The asking, seeking and knocking He spoke of was in reference to prayer--
     . . . asking GOD
     . . . seeking GOD
     . . . knocking on GOD's door.
So I can confidently knock on His door, the door to where I can go to talk to Him and hear from Him, the door to His very heart.  This is the door He will always open to those who come knocking!  This is the door He will always open to me when I come with a seeking heart.

Does He say 'yes' to everything I ask Him for?  Does He always say 'yes' to my timing?  Does He spare me from everything I want to avoid?  No, no, and no.

But does He always have time for me?  Does He always hear me when I call?  Does He always pour Himself into my lack?  Does He always open the door to His heart when I knock?  Yes, yes, yes, and YES!!

God always says, "Yes!" when what I want is HIM!!

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Are you becoming increasingly a "hunter" who seeks God with all your heart?
What changes when all you want is Him?

Comments

  1. I am soooo glad you are back! I've missed you Shaunie. I'm glad He's opened this door, back into your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. -- This is Jennifer over at Getting Down With Jesus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jennifer, thank you for the warm welcome back!! It's a blessing to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good and deep! Thanks for giving me something to ponder tonight!!! I enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Emily! I'm still pondering this one too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback and look forward to your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity

Love Wrapped in Flesh