Influence

Image
It has been a long while since I have posted anything here. I have been busy completing three years toward my B.A. in English and my senior year is underway. My current class (Creative Writing) has finally given me the space to take off the tight harness of academic writing rules, and it feels SO GOOD!! After reading my first assignment, Mom and Daddy gave it their thumbs up and suggested I make it a blog post, so here it is. It is my story and their story. It's a little longer than my usual posts, but as with everything I have ever posted here, I pray it encourages you to run "up the sunbeam to the sun" (C. S. Lewis). "Follow my example,  as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV I sat above them on the stairs. Looking down through the window-like openings in the partition between the living room and the stairway, I listened to the basketball players, football players, baseball players, wrestlers, track athletes, both the lettermen

Living Color in a Greyscale World

I watched the news this morning. Ever feel like Henny Penny was right and the sky really is falling? Bombs in far away places, more than 100 killed, mostly women and children . . . The powers that be, fighting for the lives of fish and animals while they callously starve people and abort babies . . . World leaders promising to save the world while they try to steal our freedom . . . A 15 year old girl gang-raped while a crowd of onlookers just watched the show . . . A 7 year old girl, slain, discarded with the trash, laid to rest in a coffin excruciatingly small . . . How bleak the view where there aren't shades of grey black enough to do justice to the darkness of the scenes played out before our incredulous eyes. What do we do when it looks so impenetrably dark? How do we keep from giving in to the sadness and fear and hopelessness of a despairing world? Even worse, what do we do about a world blinded to the darkness to the point that some even call darkness light. If you're feeling alone in the shadows, may I introduce you to Jesus Christ, the Light of the world who loved you enough to shatter the long terrifying night!! Look to Him!
"the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." Matthew 4:16 NIV
For those of us who know Him, this is the very time for us to live in full, glorious, vivid living color! That is what Jesus did when He came to this dark planet as the Light of the world. He shone more light into the world in 3½ years than the world has known in all the other years of its previous history combined. That light is still shining and He wants to shine through us like the sun through a prism!
"There it was--the true Light was then coming into the world the genuine, perfect, steadfast Light that illumines every person." John 1:9 AMP
The color of a thing is moot unless there is light shining on it. The darker it is all around, the more striking the colors when the light hits. We have an extraordinary privilege and responsibility to be the full rainbow of color God created, in a world that knows only greyscale. Their starving eyes need to know more than grey upon grey upon black--they need all the colors of a faith placed in the Creator of light and color--Jesus Christ Himself!! I want to be a prism to refract the Son's light to others. I want to be like the torch of an autumn tree, blazing with color as winter-death comes on. Let's live in living color!! Here is an old song I love to remind us of His colorful life! What are some practical ways we can live in color? What will you do this week to be a vivid display of the Light of the world shining through you? Share your ideas with me!!

Comments

  1. Beautiful pictures! I LOVE that one with the bright tree against the greyscale background - did you take it? That's phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet one, what a delight to meet you today. To be splashed by the color of your life shining brightly in a dark world.
    may we live out loud in bold color that those stuck in the shadows can see HIs radiant light beaming from our lives.

    Joyfully His,
    Sarah Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked my autumn tree picture! I took it on a VERY foggy morning when the way it appeared to my eye, was not all that different than this selective color treatment I gave it. The fog was so thick and the only thing that showed up were the brilliant colors of the leaves on this tree. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Dawn, YES!! That's it exactly--"out loud in bold color!" Thanks so much for taking time to comment!
    Shaunie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback and look forward to your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wrapped in Flesh

Stacking Lack or Gathering Bounty?

Simple Simplicity